THE SMART MONEY GUIDE TO BOOKING WHISTLER THIS WINTER
WHEN AND HOW TO FIND THE VERY BEST ACCOMMODATION DEALS THIS WINTER
After 25 years working in the Whistler reservations, hotel, and vacation rental industry, this year is like no other. Below is a quick summary of what I have learned to help you get the very best deal in Whistler this season. Some people may not have the flexibility and everyone has different levels of risk tolerance and tradeoffs they are prepared to make. Hopefully, though, there is a tip in this guide for everyone.
Naturally, we would love you to take advantage and book our beautiful ski in ski out hotel on the slopes of Blackcomb Mountain. Sign up to our newsletter for extra discounts. Ultimately, most of the advice provided will hold true for many of the hotels, lodges, and vacation rentals within the resort.
Tip #1 - Come when it is quiet. Most hotels (including ours will raise their rates when demand is high so try to come when demand is low to get the lowest base prices right off the bat. On top of that, you will get the mountain to yourself, and getting a table or delivery from your favorite restaurant will be a breeze.
- Midweek is better than weekend 99% of the time
- In this COVID year, Tuesday and Wednesdays are especially quiet. Statistically, more folks are taking 3 days weekends which is making Thursdays and Sundays a bit busier
- Replace the international crowd in 2021 - January is normally very busy with International and US visitors. This January should see some excellent offers as the resort tries to attract people from closer to home.
- Festive pro tip. Want to visit during the festive break? Is your family limited by school holiday dates? Try picking the week before Christmas instead of the week after - frequently rates are 20-30% less - still premium pricing but a good way to help if you have a family. Even with higher rates, the festive fortnight tends to sell out the fastest.
Tip #2 - If you want to come at the weekend book early for the best deal and try to add the extra night
- Many hotels will start to increase their rates as the hotel fills up so book as early as possible to get the lowest starting price
- Take advantage of discounts and add a night - many places are offering larger discounts for longer stays - at our hotel, we are running Third night free - all Winter long!
Tip #3 - Join the Club
- Many hotels (including ours) offer loyalty discounts and value adds for VIP's that are activated by a repeat visit, BCAA membership, or by subscribing to the monthly newsletter. Take advantage of these deals this year as many properties will offer a sweeter deal if they don't have to make it public
Tip # 4 - Mandatory - Make sure you book with a best price guarantee policy
- This means that if you do see the exact same thing you have booked (same dates, room type, policy, etc) advertised for less at a later date then your hotel will match that price
- If we are honest most hotels don't know exactly how this crazy year will pan out! - some will reward early booking and loyalty if they have to cut prices because demand is lower than expected. The Blackcomb Springs Suites offers a Best Price Guarantee, OTA price match Guarantee, and a COVID Guarantee
Tip # 5 - Feeling lucky? - this one is for the risk-takers
- Covid rule #1 ensure you can ski on the day if you book last minute. Booking your specific ski day is mandatory this season at Whistler Blackcomb
- There should be amazing deals from November 26th into the first two weeks of December - if you can come midweek you can probably snag a great deal depending on what the snow does. You can probably afford to wait and see what the weather does unless it's a winter like 98'. Make sure you have a pass if you plan to come prior to December 7th as the first two weeks are exclusive for passholders.
- Watch out for weekends! Weekends were extremely busy this summer as people looked to get away from the city and spend a weekend at the lake. We think it may follow the same pattern this winter especially after the first big dump of snow.